RE: CARP and switches

Hi,
This question never comes to my mind but here is what I can tell you
on CARP in fail-over mode. The switch is not seeing the same "virtual"
MAC address on two ports, it using only seeing "virtual" MAC address
moving from one port to another when a failover occurs.
CARP is done trough Virtual Router Redundancy Protocol (multicast
advertising)
see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VRRP for some deeper explanation. carp(4)
also
contains interesting information.
Hope this helps,
Benjamin Constant
confidential information.  It is intended only for the use of the
person(s) named above. If you are not the intended recipient, you are
hereby notified that any review, dissemination, distribution or
duplication of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you are not
the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and
destroy all copies of the original message. This communication is from TI
Automotive.