Internal SSH connection refused when Ext_if dies

I have a cable connection which i have hardcoded my dhclient ip and
gateway to the ext_if. However when my provider sometimes will reassign
my ip to someone else and will refuse to route my traffic when this
happens.
The odd thing i would like to fix though is that i can't ssh to the
int_if when this happens, the connection time out and i get an
"connection refused".
I have openbsd 3.7 and pf setup as a nat. What is causing this?