Re: Feature request - setting TOS

On 4/12/05, Kimi Ostro <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would not usually ask for a feature. Anyway, the proposal would be
> that you could set the TOS on TCP/UDP packets like so:
>
> pass out on $ext_if from any to any port ftp tos = lowcost
> pass out on $ext_if from any to any port ssh tos = reliability
> pass out on $ext_if from any to any port domain tos = lowdelay
> pass out on $ext_if from any to any port http tos = throughput
>
> Unless this is a relatively trivial to add, although never programmed
> in anything other then JavaScript LOL, I guess I could learn C then
> add this feature.

Oh pooh! hit the wrong reply button.
On 4/12/05, Kevin <[email protected]> wrote:
> I believe the idea here is to set TOS bits on the packets as they pass
> through the OpenBSD gateway, so *other* routers in the path can act
> accordingly, using their own queues and priorities.
>
> Kevin Kadow

Yes
On 4/13/05, Peter N. M. Hansteen <[email protected]> wrote:
> The two are not necessarily mutually exclusive. I tend to put a bit more
> faith in the things I can control, on my own gear. Setting TOS values is
> useful, but only to the extent they are actually honored further down
> the track.
I think most people have more faith in things they can control, it's
not like I had not of given this some thought, obviously it could take
one router in between to nuke the TOS field completely.
I had been playing with tcpdump and watching packets fly in and out
for the last day or so and it quite suprising how many packets have
TOS set to mostly lowcost and throughput.
On 4/13/05, Matt Pearce <[email protected]> wrote:
> Or is this refering to setting where the ToS packet goes ??  ie send a
> low priority ToS packet to a specified queue instead of filtering by
> port or ip.
Well, it is refereing to where the packets with TOS set goes *after*
it has been through your gateway/firewall/router, obviously, once it
has "left the building" it is pretty much out of your control.
> Matt.

Kimi
--
spamassassinexception