efficiency of pfctl (was: Re: can you help me measuring trafficusing OpenBSD's pf?)

On 22 Mar, Sean Kamath wrote:
> Huh.  Didn't know about that.  Any idea about the amount of overhead
> it would incur?  Currently, I'm using a simple perl script that uses
> netstat -b output on the outward side interface. . .
I have to assume, that pfctl -s, will be slightly more efficient, since
it's more likely, that it knows, how to extract the important data
quick, whereas i'm not so sure about netstat -b.
Had to skim through the code base, tho.