CARP Failover

Hi, I was wondering about CARP failover. For an example, say we have
two OpenBSD pf firewalls. When the main firewall fails for some
reason, how long of a delay is there before the backup firewall takes
over as the main firewall? Also, if I had a TCP connection running
(like connection to an FTP site) and the main firewall went down,
would I lose my connection? Keep in mind the network I have in mind is
a small corporate network (40-50 users). Let me know. Thanks.