Re: "pfctl -x loud" slowing the clock?

On Wed, 2 Mar 2005 22:16:48 -0600
L Cubed <[email protected]> wrote:
> Greetings!
>
> On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 17:14:53 +0100, Dieter Kasielke
> <[email protected]> wrote:
> > Hello all,
> >
> > has anyone seen something like this? turning on debugging in pf
> > seems to slow down the system clock. This is an excerpt of
> > /var/log/messages from an older system (3.5-stable compiled
> > 2004-07-27):
> >

> Which arch types is this occuring on?
> Which time server are you running?
This is i386, HW is a dell 1650 (PIII, 1.2 GHz). The time server is
external to the machine mentioned which uses cron to execute
"/usr/sbin/rdate -nav times.zrz.tu-berlin.de" every 20 minutes.
This results in ~ 50 msecs clock accuracy, which is good enough
for me. The time server is OK, since i use it from other machines
too (which did not show any time drift during the time period
mentioned in my original posting). Since this is a firewall only
machine and the clock started delaying after turning on debugging
and slided back to normal behaviour after turning it off again,
i suspect this debugging to be the cause, since it was the only
thing different from normal operation. What really surprises me
is the amount of delay. About 1200 lines of debug messages were
generated, which translates to 11 msec delay/message, rather
hard to believe.
Hope this helps, Dieter