Re: Problem with traffic shaping over multiples nics

On Fri, Feb 04, 2005 at 01:10:15AM +0100, Nicolas wrote:
> Since it's not possible to shape inbound traffic on my multi-nics
> bastion, will shapping outbound traffic be useful?
Sure, if you have an ADSL (with less upstream than downstream
bandwidth), you often saturate the upstream, and that affects downloads
as well. See http://www.benzedrine.cx/ackpri.html for an example.
When the upstream is saturated and you prioritize outgoing replies of
bulk downloads (incoming to you) by connection type, you affect the
download speeds as well, indirectly. The connections whose replies are
dropped will slow down because the packet loss causes the peer to
retransmit and back off. It isn't as precise as queueing on the internal
interface, but it's not generally useless.
When in doubt, try :)
Daniel