Re: Specific HFSC questions

With thanks to Jared, can any of the HFSC experts comment on my
questions from 03 Jan (link: http://www.benzedrine.cx/pf/msg05979.html
)?
I'm still unclear on the semantics of "priority" in HFSC.
Also, responding directly to that reply,
--- jared r r spiegel <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 03, 2005 at 02:33:37PM -0800, John Ricardo wrote:
>
>   to directly answer your question, yes, the bandwidth specified is
>   unused unless the queue sees packets, and no, it is not *simply*
So, to summarize, if I had one queue with a 128 KB/s realtime
specification and all other queues did not have a realtime
specification, I would only pass traffic at (max_upload_rate - 128
KB/s) if the realtime queue was empty (and thus not using the full
upload bandwidth available)?
> > 5. Is it necessary to provide bandwidth/scheduler specifications
> for
> > parent queues if specifications are given for all the leaf queues?
> Is
> > there any benefit to doing so?
>   worth mentioning in this case is that the sum of all the leaves
>   on a particular branch is relative to its parent and not the
>   tree as a whole.
This applies only when specifying things as percentages, and not in the
case where absolute transfer rates are provided, correct?
Thanks.