Re: CARP again, again

On Dec 23, 2004, at 5:28 PM, ed wrote:

Hello again, sorry to bother you all again.

I have a question, we have two DSL connections, and I plan on using two
boxes, which are carped. But, I'd like to do this in a fashion such that
I can failover to a different connection when the primary one becomes
unusable.

Would anyone have experience of doing this, and how exactly does one
determine that the connection has failed? Does it base the failure on
link status or on IP untouchables?

CARP really has nothing to do with this. CARP is a link-layer protocol which allows one box to assume the virtual interface when another becomes unavailable on the same local segment. Since each box will still see each other as "alive" when your route goes down, they'll operate as usual.

Your problem is a network-layer issue. Attack it just like you might with one box connected to dual gateways, since that's exactly what you're emulating.

--
Jason Dixon
DixonGroup Consulting