Re: CARP

On Dec 17, 2004, at 1:47 PM, Ryan McBride wrote:

I suggest larger advskew differences.  You can only go as high as the
size of your segment (256-1 for /24, for example).  If you're only
using 2 firewalls, I suggest advskews of 0 and 100.  This isn't
documented anywhere, and is only based on my own experience, so YMMV.

If by "not documented" you mean "explicitly ignoring the examples in the
carp(4) manpage", then you're correct :-)

I do. :)

The advskew range doesn't depend on the network segment. It's an 8 bit
number in the CARP packet and the legal values are 1-255. Keep the value
below 240 unless you really know what you're doing.

I overextended myself with that piece of logic. I remember it being capped at 255, but inappropriately associated it with the mask. Sorry for any confusion caused, I fucking hate it when people give wrong answers on list. :-P

--
Jason Dixon
DixonGroup Consulting