Re: (why can't)/(does) carp work on bridges ?

On Dec 16, 2004, at 10:18 AM, Joel CARNAT wrote:

I wanted to do CARPing on interfaces which were part on bridges.
According to my readings and testing (it's been 1 week I'm trying to
have it working ;), it seems you can't enable carp on an interface that
is bridged to some other...

I believe you can, so long as your interface has an IP assigned to it. An IP is needed, but you will not be routing- don't let it confuse you. You're still bridging all packets between the external segment and the protected segment. I haven't tried it myself (yet), so caveat emptor.

Is is really true (or did I miss a bit of configuration) ?
And, if so, why ? What makes it impossible ?

Actually, Ryan McBride recently posted a diff to -current to allow CARP interfaces to bind to the physical interface (without IP) using the carpdev keyword.

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=openbsd-tech&m=110229937028512&w=2

--
Jason Dixon
DixonGroup Consulting