(why can't)/(does) carp work on bridges ?

Hi,
I wanted to do CARPing on interfaces which were part on bridges.
According to my readings and testing (it's been 1 week I'm trying to
have it working ;), it seems you can't enable carp on an interface that
is bridged to some other...
Is is really true (or did I miss a bit of configuration) ?
And, if so, why ? What makes it impossible ?
PS: my initial plan was
Internet---ex0 (no IP)==bridge0==ex1 (privateIP) / carp0 (public IP)---LAN with public IPs
the bridge is connected on a internet routeur, and serves as a FW/GTW
for the public servers. I wanted to have failover on this equipement.
TIA,
	Jo
--
,-- This mail runs ---------.