Re: How do I change my firewall ports to stealth mode?

Volker Kindermann ([email protected]) wrote:
> I'm running emailservers for years now and never ran an identd. And my
> clients don't have an identd running either. I don't think that you need this
> for smtp nowadays.
It's never been mandatory for SMTP.  Some IRC servers do require it,
though.
Personally, I prefer not to reveal the usernames behind the client
connections I'm making, so I use nullidentd.  It's very simplistic; it
just returns a constant string for all ident requests.  (It doesn't
appear to be in ports; I simply grabbed the source code from
packages.debian.org/nullidentd and built it myself.)
[email protected]              |    - The Red Hot Chili Peppers
http://wooledge.org/~greg/     |