Re: PF HFSC - need help with rules

On Saturday, Apr 24, 2004, at 12:50 US/Pacific, Henning Brauer wrote:

* Alexey E. Suslikov <[email protected]> [2004-04-24 10:52]:

excuse me, Henning, but who needs "bandwidth" with HFSC? i see lot of people (including me) who (theoretically properly) ommits "bandwidth" and reaps these confusing things.

maybe you like a lot of knobs to twiddle with, but that's not our way, sorry.
hfsc with just bandwith specified and no realtime or upperlimit has to work, and queue blah bandwidth X is the natural way to do that.

Except that there's nothing at all natural about using "bandwidth" for the "linkshare" specification. It's a _weight_, not a measurable bandwidth number. HFSC isn't simple enough to use only "bandwidth", since it doesn't match the behavior of any other scheduler.