Re: pf with any l7 patches or ability?

Yes, I agree that l7 filtering is a hyped term. My original pitch to accomplish my goal (internet in apartments/dorms with traffic control) was to use netflow data, some perl, and rate-limit commands/ACLs on the cisco site border routers. Basically my own version of a guy I work with on occasions dorm concept, available here: http://www.ncne.org/training/techs/2001/0128/presentations/200101- kline1_files/v3_document.htm I've done this in the past and it works very, very well. The intended goal being users that have their file sharing programs (or whatever) pushing data at tremendous rates (and more or less ruining the experience for regular users) get put into a group that has to share about 128k of bandwidth. The problem I ran into is that none of them got the equipment I recommended, so now I have to look at bad ways to do something already convoluted. Currently there are OpenBSD boxes at each site generating netflow data with softflowd as well as top transfers via ipfm and using altq to do some QoS. As of now I have some perl glue that looks at top users and adds them to a table with the lowest priority. I love the pf code, you guys do a top notch job, you do something and do it well. Tonight I have been working on getting snort installed and putzing with hogwash. Once again the smart people on this list have pointed me in a new direction that I think will be very, very helpful for me. Thanks again for a great tool.
nb