Re[2]: RFC#12 - PF version

Monday, October 20, 2003, 7:44:52 PM, Henning Brauer wrote:
>> Request to introduce a public revision number to PF and pfctl.
HB> no.
HB> I had code doing this, and even pfctl erroring out with a nice message
HB> if kernel and userland are out of sync, but theo refused it.
That's strange. Why? I mean: That is vital information about the own
system. That would save a lot of time for threads like "*whine* syntax
error *whine*" when the problem is a version missmatch. Additionally
it's a security improvement when I can step up to an old box check the
versions and update _if_ required! Can you please tell me: What is the
point in _not_ providing such information?!
--
Best regards,
 Max                            mailto:[email protected]