From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf
Of Henning Brauer
Sent: Saturday, May 31, 2003 10:22 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: pf/altq on a fast link
On Sat, May 31, 2003 at 10:06:25PM +0100, Dom De Vitto wrote:
> As usual, Henning is right, but I'd add that (assuming that the ALTQ+
> PF code is negligible) some protocols may be better, even with plenty
> of available bandwidth.
>
> For example, you could say that TCP SYN,SYN+ACK and ACK packets
> (connection setup) should have priority - as this would mean that web
> servers could spawn handling processes earlier, in parallel with the
> incoming HEAD/GET request.  Of course this will add a small delay to
> normal data, but overall, total wall-clock time to is decreased.
they won't get out earlier even if you priorize them. as the line is
not saturated there is no backlog worth talking about and thus there
is nothing to give priority over.
altq "re-sorts" stuff in the send queues on the network interfaces. if
the lines aren't saturated these queues are always empty or close to
empty thus nothing to resort.
[email protected] - [email protected]
(Dennis Ritchie)