Re: L2 broadcast and NAT state

On Fri, Mar 28, 2003 at 02:33:49AM -0800, Trevor Talbot wrote:
> >And this is where your packet gets dropped, due to the M_BCAST flag:
>
> >You should see the counter increase in netstat -p ip output:
>
> Yep, this is it.  Thanks for tracking this down.
Just to make sure: the destination IP address of the ICMP echo reply is
not a broadcast address on IP level, right? According to the networks
and netmasks, it's a plain unicast address (not any network's broadcast
address, the network address with all netmask bits set)?
If you accidentally picked a subnet's broadcast address there, the
packet would be correctly dropped instead of getting forwarded. But if
only the ethernet mac address is broadcast, I think it should get
forwarded.
If you're not sure, quote ifconfig -a output for the interface and
provide the IP destination address of the packet.
Daniel