Re: spamd

On Sat, Mar 15, 2003 at 09:24:38AM -0500, Michael Anuzis wrote:
> Any advice/insight available as to why this is not working for me? Am I
> just *really* unlucky and the few spammers that hit me (I only get around
> 5 spams a day, but that's what it's always been) are smart enough to dodge
> spews?
You're running the spamd rdr on your mail exchanger, right?
$ nslookup
> set type=mx
> benzedrine.cx
benzedrine.cx   mail exchanger = 0 insomnia.benzedrine.cx.
benzedrine.cx   mail exchanger = 5 narcolepsy.benzedrine.cx.
Mails will get sent to either of those two hosts, and the spamd
redirection is only effective if it's running equally on both mx.
If you run the setup only on the primary mx, the spammers will
automatically deliver to the secondary. And since you'll be accepting
mail from your secondaries, you'll still get the spam.
It should be obvious if you know how mail works, but maybe it should be
mentioned as a drawback of this method: you have to run it on all your
mail exchangers (might be impossible if you're using secondaries that
you don't have control over).
Daniel