Re: PF NAT and Oracle/Linux mystery

In the tcpdump output, look for "wscale <int>" on the first packet.

I can see a "wscale 9" in the first packet from the Linux box all right.

Our state code doesn't handle window scaling which I can see Oracle enabling.

Aha! So by default this is disabled on Linux (which explains why other Linux connectivity is not affected), and is enabled explicitly by Oracle.

Any idea why they do this?

'echo 0 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_window_scaling' on the linux box to turn it off.

Thanks a lot, I will forward this to the admin of the Oracle server.

Cheers, Steve