documentation about scrub normalization

Hi there -
I am inquiring about documentation with respect to the scrub directive.
More specifically, exactly what the normalization *is*. The manpage,
pf.conf(5), states the following:
Packet normalization is invoked via the scrub directive. Normalization
is used to sanitize packet content in such a way that there are no ambi-
guities in packet interpretation on the receiving side.
That snippet, imo, is a bit vague. I believe that some of the
normalization was loosely based on the Mark Handley and Vern Paxson
paper[1]...
Thanks in advance,
Chris
[1] http://www.icir.org/vern/papers/norm-usenix-sec-01-html