RE: Short question

Anders,
A data point:
I helped someone set up on OpenBSD 3.1-current a Pentium 200 with 32MB of
RAM to filter 150+ Windows workstations on our University's LAN with a
typical 20 line ruleset, and the box hasn't dropped below 94% idle even with
clients simultaneously downloading Windows service packs.
They had to get a new switch, because the router couldn't deal with that
many addresses on one VLAN, but the box didn't break a sweat.
This also had the effect of freezing in place an ongoing break-in.
I've seen other University colleagues deploy and then throw away several
thousand dollar vendor firewall/switches, because they couldn't get them to
work properly even after extended "vendor support", and the failures kept
freezing their network until their department chairs said "Enough!".
--Adam