Re: pppoe, bridge and pf

On Thu, 21 Nov 2002 [email protected] wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to setup invisible firewall (OBSD 3.2) as it is described here:
>
> http://www.openlysecure.org/openbsd/how-to/invisible_firewall.html
>
> The bridge is working, but pf rules block in(out) all are passing all
> traffic in and out. I'm using raspppoe client on my internal box (for
> ADSL modem). Am I missing something or it's just a limitation (mine;).
> Any help will be appreciated.
PPPoE = PPP (point to point protocol) over ethernet. This puts PPP packets
into ethernet frame (layer 2).
PF is a packet filter and works at layer 3 (IP) and 4 (TCP, UDP, ...). It
doesn't operate at layer 2.
I think you get the picture. That's why PF is unable to filter AppleTalk,
IPX, ... either.
Cheers,
Dries
--