Re: fully transparent ftp-proxy and other stories...

   Check out the Hut project.  It's a FreeBSD implementation of the VRRP
   protocol, including Load Balancing via VIP's.  There has been a port to
   OpenBSD as well (no personal experience).
Looks interesting, but it's not what I'm after.
What I need to be able to do is the equivalent of:
   nat on fxp1 from $NET_INTERNAL to any -> { 1.1.1.1, 2.2.2.1 }
So that half the internally originated traffic will appear to come
from one address, and half from the other.  The two addresses are from
different providers, and policy routing in the cisco routers will
ensure they're routed out of the correct leased line.
       -roy