Bridging and NAT

Someone on the [email protected] list had an interesting question, but he got
quickly trounced by someone, for no discernable reason, IMHO.  This guy
has a box with bridging between fxp0 and fxp1, and NAT from his internal
network on fxp2 to the address on fxp0.
The responder quickly flamed him for bridging and NAT'g at the same
time, but I think he was having a brain fart.  Isn't it conceivable to
support a configuration like this, where you'd want to filter incoming
traffic across a transparent bridge, while also NAT'g for your internal
network?  Or am I just too damn tired and missing something?
TIA,
J.