Re: Redundent setup

On Mon, Nov 04, 2002 at 02:16:07PM +0100, Stefan Sonnenberg-Carstens wrote:
> So, is STP support needed by the switches or not ?
Well, not *needed*. We use a hub before and after the switches (legacy, don't ask ;)
After that the traffic is send to a switch which segments our network. A decent
switch should be able to handle this without STP too.
Don't forget that STP is just a protocol designed to prevent loops.
I do know that switches are able to talk STP too, so I guess you could use STP on
both the switches *and* the bridges...
The switch uses STP to decide which bridge it has to forward too (which has the
lowest priority and is sending STP messages). I do not have any experience with
this though.
> I think, that the traffic passes the bridges anyway, right ?
Unless you use STP on them :)
--
Otto