Load balancing question?

  I've just read Daniel's interview (damn slashdotted server!!). And I
found that comented that load balancing was left out only because of
patents. A couple of monthes ago we discussed about making multi NAT
rules with the possiblility of turnin on and off some IP. Is this also
covered by such patents? Were those ideas useful? Should the rest of
the world pay for the idiotic US patents system? May be it could be
made like ssh before the RSA patent wentpublic.
Regards,
Alejandro Belluscio
PD: FTP should die a slow painful death. Use HTTP.