Re: Load balancing/failover

On Wed, Oct 02, 2002 at 12:15:26PM -0300, Alejandro G. Belluscio wrote:
> rdr-load on #if inet proto tcp from any to #ExtIf port www -> \
>     {#Ip1 port www, #Ip2 port www, #Ip3 port www} \
>     [balance-weight {4, 5, 9} #idnum | balance-round-robin #idnum]
Yes, that makes sense, and Ryan McBride is actually working on doing
something like that. There are a couple of questions still, though. If
we allow free lists like { #Ip1, #Ip2, ... }, we have to find a way to
store them in kernel and pass them through ioctls. Considering that the
list may be large, that can be non-trivial (also adding or removing
addresses from this list without removing the entire rule).
Another point is how this deals with #Ip1 going down. Should any part of
pf (in kernel?) monitor (or even probe) the targets and modify the list
automatically? Or would you want a userland daemon to do that? Or do it
manually completely?
Daniel